Home page button

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Litter update

I am very sorry to say that things did not go well with the kindling process today. 
Ebony (aka WolfSong's Cougar) delivered a stillborn kit after 8 this morning. Nothing was to come for quite some time after that. This evening it was obvious that she was contracting and working hard to try to deliver another one. I could tell she was distressed and that the kit was likely too big. That was indeed the case. The kit became very stuck and had already died from the trauma. I had to assist her in removing the kit. I felt so sorry for her. She has been stretched out, taking it easy & recovering ever since. I am assuming there are not any more kits to come. I am so sorry for all of those who were anxiously awaiting this litter, like I was!
When I very first started raising rabbits, I remember reading an article that said "Raising rabbits is not for the faint of heart!" That is indeed true. Sometimes when the litter is smaller in number the kits grow larger in size and can become too large for safe delivery.


Here is a picture of the sweet Momma (looking quite pregnant) before all of the above.

No automatic alt text available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from you! Thank you for your comment.